Friday, November 21, 2008

Jumping on the Blog Bandwagon

I have been thinking about starting a blog of awhile, but I didn't want to count my chickens before they hatched. Last week I got the most amazing phone call of my life offering me a position to work at Walt Disney World and I can now start this. I am going to recap the whole application process because I know when I was applying I was reading blogs like crazy trying to get as much information as possible (and also as a way to procrastinate).

I have wanted for years to work at Disney, and tried a couple of times for the summer college program. But when I e-mailed asking for information about it I was told that Canada didn't participate in the program any more (not true!). Then when I went to apply again it was already too late. So I knew that I had to apply really far in advance for the cultural representative program (I'll explain it more in another blog). I sent Yummy Jobs an e-mail on July 7 asking them it would be best to apply. I got their response and officially applied the next day. On July 25 I got an e-mail saying that I would be getting a phone call for a phone interview sometime in the next three weeks. I looked everywhere on the internet for things that they may ask and I made a cheat sheet (actually 2 sheets of paper) and kept it near the phone to have near me when they called me. On August 6 there was a message from Kristen at Yummy Jobs. I immediately got butterflies and called her back, only to leave her a message! She called me back a few minutes later for my phone interview.

I can't remember a whole lot of my interview. It was over in 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure she asked if I had any tattoo's or piercings, how I'd feel about room mates, maybe something else. Then she asked what I would tell people about Canada's traditions. I won't go into my answer because I thought I bombed it and as soon as our conversation was over I could think of tons of different things I could have said. That is really the only part of the phone call that I can remember, just because I was so upset with my answer and I figured that I wasn't going to hear from them.

Luckily! On August 27 I got an e-mail saying that I was invited to attend the face-to-face interviews sometime late October. I cried when I read the e-mail, I was so excited and surprised.

I will do a post about the face-to-face another time since that is pretty fresh in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment