Friday, August 14, 2009

The first week

So after we did the airboat tour we went back to the hotel and I got things organized to check into Vista Way. I headed over at around 1:30 and was probably out of there by 2. They just gave me my room key, a welcome bag of fun treats, and a packet full of information for the first few days. I then headed over to The Commons where I emptied the car of all of my junk. There were a few empty beds (in an apartment of 8 people!) that I had to choose from so I picked the other Canadian. We share the bedroom and the bathroom is shared between 4 of us! So far there haven't been any problems with 4 girls sharing one bathroom. Luckily each room has a sink which makes things a little bit better. The kitchen has 2 fridges, a dishwasher (which I love!) and all of the pots and pans, utensils and dishes. They aren't in the greatest condition but oh well. The counters in the kitchen are pretty gross, there are burn marks from where pots have been put on them. And there isn't a whole ton of cupboard space, but I got some tubs that I have in my closet for some extra food.

On Wednesday and Thursday we had some meetings and filling out paperwork. For the most part it was pretty boring but the guy who told us about things we aren't allowed to have (weapons) and the top 10 reasons why people get terminated was pretty funny. On Wednesday night I had my throw in. I was so nervous for it, but it actually wasn't too bad. I will be glad to be on the other side for the next throw in. Thursday we finished pretty early so Mum, Sarah and David picked me up and we went for dinner at Downtown Disney. Then Saarah, David and I went into Typhoon Lagoon. Unfortunately, in Florida this time of year it likes to have HUGE thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening. So we had barely gotten into the wave pool when a storm started and we had to leave. On the way out I upgraded the day ticket into a season's pass. On Friday we had the day off so we were going to go to a water park but everyone decided to save their money and we walked around Downtown Disney for a while. We also went to Walmart that day.

Saturday we had to get up bright and early for Traditions. This is a day long class where we learn about the company, some of it's policies and what it means to be cast members. I had been really looking forward to this day! Mainly because it's the day where we got our name tags and ID to go into the parks! I had a really good table so that made it even more fun. During the day if you answered a question or gave any kind of input you would get a little Disney Critter. All I wanted to get was 1 of them (I got 5, lol!) One little activity we did was as a group write down as many animated characters as possible. I was voted group leader (thanks Fiona!). It was hard to write everything down because everyone was talking at once and I couldn't write as fast as they were talking. If I were to go back and look at that paper it probably wouldn't make sense because I didn't write out the whole character's name, just enough for me at the time to know what it was. We one the little game, by 10 or 11 characters! So we got a critter for that, and I got an extra one for being the team leader. Just before lunch we got our ID badges and hopped on a bus to go to the Magic Kingdom mouseketeria. This was lots of fun because it is right at the entrance of the tunnels! We saw lots of different people while we were there. Once being a wicked stepsister from Cinderella! On our way out after lunch some people were unloading different costumes from a truck. There were quite a few princess dresses. We then finished up our day at traditions and headed back home to change.

We all went back home and relaxed for a few hours before meeting up and going to the Magic Kingdom!!! It was so painful that I was in Florida for nearly a week before I went into a park. The first thing we did was go get our first visit and celebrating pins. I liked going with people who have never been to Disney before. It was so exciting. We did a few rides; Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mickey's Philharmagic, It's a Small World, and The Haunted Mansion. Then people went to get something to eat and we got a spot to watch Wishes. I love fireworks so much! I am also not afraid to admit that I cried while watching them. I am so happy to be here and can't believe that I get to work for Walt Disney World! We then had to go with all of the crowds to get the monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center to get our bus back to The Commons.


Sunday and Monday I had off. Everyone else was working so I hung out around the apartment, went to the outlet mall to buy hiking boots for my costume and went to multiple stores to find money to put on my cell phone. On Sunday night we walked around Downtown Disney for a bit. We got a really good brownie sunday from Ghiradelli's to share between 3 of us. We then went to House of Blues for a bit. I wasn't a big fan of the music they were playing so I don't think I will be heading back there anytime soon. On Monday night I went to Games Night. All of the pavilions have drinking teams that party with other countries. Canada also has a games night where people play board games. I had fun and it was good to know to get to know some other Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment