Saturday, September 19, 2009

September 9 - 11

Wednesday September 9 – Alex, Jo, a UK Rachel and I got up bright and early to walk to Chatham. We had signed up for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at the Magic Kingdom. I did this tour a few years ago with Mum so I was really excited. Since our tour was before the park opened we got to go in before everyone else. They had a separate entrance for early tours and people with dining reservations. It was really neat to see Main Street so empty. We headed over to city hall to sign in for our tour. I’m not sure why, but it started a little late so we got to hear the opening of the park. It is a fun park to go to watch the opening of. First a bunch of singers come out and dance. Then the train comes full of characters and the family of the day. They do a little song and officially open the park. We were in a good place waiting for our tour because after all of the characters walked by us to go backstage. A little after our tour guide came and we got started. We walked up Main Street where she told us some of the little details. For example all of the names on the windows are actual people or plays on words. One is the name M.T. Lott. So if you say it sounds like “empty lot.” (How many of you just tried that out loud, lol!!) She then pointed out a window that has something about a casting agency. That window is dedicated to all cast members working at the Magic Kingdom. I was really excited by that. Our next stop was to head backstage and down into the utilidoors!! They are the tunnels that are under the Magic Kingdom. Walt wanted them in Disney World after he say a cowboy from Frontierland walking through Tomorrowland. He thought that ruined the show (which is one of the 4 foundations of the park. Another is efficiency and I can’t remember the other 2). The utilidoors go under nearly the whole park and have TONS of stuff down there. Offices, computer labs, costuming, stock rooms, break trailors, cast cafeteria (that I got to eat at on my Traditions day). Since the land was so swampy, when building the Magic Kingdom they couldn’t dig down into the ground. So they built the utilidoors and the rest of the Magic Kingdom is on the second story. We went downstairs and walked through for a little bit. They have different pictures up on the wall showing the phases of the Magic Kingdom being built, as well as important posters from the company’s history. After walking for a bit we stopped and watched a video about the utilidoors and the different things they have down there that we can’t see. It was the same video I saw a few years ago when I did the tour. Then we walked through a little more and came up really close to where we had gone down. I was a little disappointed because I had thought we would have seen more of the utilidoors. It was only cast members on the tour so they could have. Oh well. We then walked around the park a little more and rode Pirates of the Caribbean. We then went backstage behind Splash Mountain and went into the big hanger where the parade floats are kept. We only stood at one end and could look down, but it is still cool to see the different floats. I really wish I could be there as the get ready for the parade. There must be tons of people around. Then we went back onstage and rode the Haunted Mansion. Our guide told us a few things before riding it, but nothing that Jo and I hadn’t learned on our tour before. That was where our tour ended and our guide left us. It was a good tour but I think there were only a few things that I hadn’t known before. It was very similar (with less detail and shorter) to the time I had done the tour before. But it was free so that was good. I just assumed that since we were all cast members they would have told us a few extra things. I would definitely suggest the tour for anyone who enjoys Disney and wants to learn more about the Magic Kingdom, but I don’t think I’ll do it again.

After the tour Alex, Jo and I walked around the park a bit. We rode the teacups, went and met some Princesses (Cinderella, Belle and Aurora), walked through Minnie’s house, rode the Carousel of Progress (I love that ride and it was the first time I’d done it since I’ve been here), and Buzz Lightyear. I then headed off to work and they stayed to play some more. I had a nice relaxing trip to work. The monorail was closed for a few hours so I took the boat to the Ticket Centre to get the other monorail to Epcot. It was nice taking the boat, I got some good pictures of the different resorts by the Magic Kingdom. I also stopped to take some pictures once I got to Epcot. The ones of me didn’t turn out so great so they won’t make it to facebook. As per usual, pictures are on facebook so check them out there.

I worked til 9:30 that night so had a little something to eat when I got home and played on the computer before going to the Throw In!!! I was really excited because it was the first one I went to after my own. I don’t even know how to describe what went on but it was lots of fun. WAY better watching it then being one of the people thrown in. (Though if anyone reading this is coming down, it is nothing to be afraid of).

Thursday September 10 – I worked 3:30 to 9:30 and I don’t think I did anything in the morning. But that night a whole bunch of us went and saw The Time Traveller’s Wife. I read the book last year so I was really excited to see it. Plus how can you go wrong with Eric Bana? The movie was really good. I cried like a baby. I can’t wait until it comes out and I’ll watch it again. But probably enjoy it even more since I will be able to watch it in bed and cry.

Friday September 11 – I had off! A few of us were going to go to Animal Kingdom. Dan and I went earlier since Ashley and DeAnna had some errands to run, although later DeAnna texted me saying they missed the bus and weren’t coming. It was ok because Dan and I had a great day. We went on the safari, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Everest and saw the Finding Nemo musical. We figured around 2-3ish we were done with the park but kind of hungry so we went over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and ate at Sanaa, the newest restaurant there. It is more Indian influenced. I had some veggie, rice thing in some kind of bread. It was good but I don’t know if I would go back there again. I didn't take too many pictures that day but they are here. Later that night while I was just relaxing, Jo messaged me asking if I wanted to go to the outlet mall and maybe grab something to eat. I was bored so I said yes. A few of us ended up going to Outback to eat. I had a really good pasta and we stayed for a couple hours just talking. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment